Saturday, October 29, 2011

Dumb Student.

I have had to get my blood drawn weekly since probably June 2010 when my body got really really angry. While the test may change the steps don't. I know where all of my good veins are, as well as the scarred ones from over use. I usually know the people's names and personal information such as kids, car troubles, ex-troubles, etc due to the frequency I get to visit. That said, I had a student today. I understand that we all start somewhere, but this students was a complete idiot. Here is my case as it unfolded: #1 Feels for vein in the wrong spot #2 I inform student that is not a vein but a tendon-big difference #3 Student ignores me and shoves a butterfly needle into my tendon and into a nerve-yes a butterfly needle used for shallow veins as in on the surface nowhere near my precious nerves #4 I begin crying and am not sure why #5 notice student is still fishing for a vein within my tendon but I am unable to feel anything....at all, but my body obviously does or I wouldn't be crying right? RIGHT? #6 Nurse comes around corner and exclaims "WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU DOING TO HER!?!?" and shoves student out of way-yay! she removes needle and asks me to pinch fingers which I can do if I am looking but can't feel it and can't if I am not watching my hand #7 nurse has to go through the top of my hand due to my arm being destroyed on the oppostie side #8 stupid student asks if I am just senstive-I gave a not so nice reply along the lines of being insensitive to people who don't listen to their patients especially when they have blood drawn as frequently as I do #9 leave with three areas wrapped in brightly colored coflex and still unable to feel arm, grasp, write, open pens, hold cassettes, type, etc #10 15 minutes later I am going to throw up, I am sick, dizzy, and nautious, our nurse notices and figures I am having a sympathetic reaction to having my nerve poked and twirled around #11 3 hours later tingling in the fingers, I can pick up a paper #12 4 hours later feeling starts coming back #13 evening pain is so intense in my arm that has been dead since 11:00 AM I am forced to take pain medication to get any relief #14 I don't like students, especially dumb ones. #15 never again

No comments: