Sunday, October 30, 2011

We Thank Thee O God For a Prophet

We had Regional Stake Conference today and it was wonderful. There were a lot of good messages and things to take from it and I have to say it is always nice to hear from the prophet. The main message from both Elder Andersen and President Monson was the need to look outside of ourselves and go to the rescue of those around us be they the widowed, lonely, from fractured families, neighbors, friends, strangers....to help those who need it or to find a way to serve those around us. I think it can be easy to get wrapped up in our busy lives, and trials and not look outside of our narrow point of view and see those around us in need of a smile, hug, listening ear, plate of cookies, visit, phone call, dinner, because we are all dealing with something. President Monson's remarks on battalions and loss of war in connection with loving those around us made me think of a quote that I love from Sister Marjorie Pay Hinckley (wife of President Hinckley): "Be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." Note on the picture: some may think this a weird choice, but the last time I heard President Monson speak at the Dee Events Center it was at my graduation, which I think is pretty neat.

1 comment:

Tara and Tyler said...

I loved conference too. I enjoyed Elder Jensen's talk most. It made me think about what things I need to do to keep the spirit around.